Sunnyvale is considered the #32 safest city in California. From great school districts to beautiful local hiking trails and family-friendly events, Sunnyvale is a great location for any lifestyle! For more information on other highly ranked safe cities in California visit, http://www.safewise.com/blog/50-safest-cities-california/.
Tag Archives: bay area
Location, location, location! Paradise Cove in Malibu California gives a whole new meaning to mobile home communities. Not only is this oasis notorious for its breathtaking canyons, nearby sea, and warm weather, but it is the home of multi-million dollar manufactured homes. Celebrities such as Matthew McConaughey, Pamela Anderson, and Minnie Driver once called this community their home. It was also a popular location for film sets such as the Beach Boys’ Surfin’ Safari record. So what does it cost to live in this beach friendly community? David Carter, a real estate agent in Malibu says one home sold for $2.5 million in 2011. “Paradise Cove is full of gorgeous, tricked-out residences with a lot of value. It’s hard not to fall in love with this place”, Carter explains. It is not uncommon to find luxurious features such as sub-zero appliances, recessed lighting, marble floors, and granite counters in some of these homes. So next time you’re thinking of moving you may want to consider Paradise Cove. When you’ve got the warm weather and a beach what’s not to love?
Grigoriadis, Vanessa. Bohemian Cove. Vanity Fair. Web. 6 Nov. 2013. http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/features/2011/03/paradise-cove-201103
Did you know most families are not prepared for an emergency? According to a Columbia University survey in 2011, respondents didn’t have basic emergency items such as water and flashlights. Below are recommended items any household should have to keep your family safe when faced with common hazards:
1. Risk detectors – Risk detectors should be installed to alert for smoke and carbon monoxide. Don’t forget to replace them as they may lose their sensitivity over time.
2. Fire extinguishers – Every household should have a fire extinguisher to control small fires in an emergency. Not only is it important to have one in accessible locations, but learning how to use properly one is key.
3. A first aid kit – A first aid kit is a must for any emergency. Each kit will include basic supplies such as wound-dressing and antiseptics, but you should add extra medications specific to your family members.
4. Battery-powered flashlights and a radio – In an event where the electricity is out for a long period you will need flashlights and a radio. Flashlights will aid in navigating through the dark and allow you and your family to travel to a safe location. Make sure to keep an extra set of batteries. A radio will all give you access to any important local and goverment updates.
5. Food and water supplies – It is recommended by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to have at least one gallon of bottled water per family member per day. In addition, there should be enough nonperishable food items for your family (including pets) for at least three days. Be sure to check your emergency food and water every six months for expiration dates.
6. An emergency game plan – Did you know most families do not have an emergency plan? Planning in the event of a fire, earthquake, or any other emergency will ensure each family member is aware of the proper steps to take and where to meet in case of an evacuation.
Roberts, Amy. 6 Must-Have Safety Items for Every Home. Liberty Mutual. Web. 25 Oct. 2013.